My First Thrift Shopping Experience (Tips and What to Bring)

6:29 PM


I don't know how I stumbled upon TheThriftyHannako's Youtube page but I did. The pieces she bought inspired me to go thrift shopping. To be honest, I was a bit skeptical about it at first but after a couple of thrift haul videos from different people and research, I finally gave in. One of the reasons why I haven't gone to any thrift store prior to my recent trip is because my mom forbids me to - for safety and sanitary reasons. I understand where she's coming from but... sorry, mom. Curiosity hit me!

One afternoon I just decided to ride the train and go to Lolo Oboy's, a thrift store/building mentioned in a couple of vlogs/websites. I got a bit lost since I thought it was located near MRT Cubao station. Apparently, it's located near LRT Anonas. Thank goodness for Google!

Lolo Oboy's is a 4-story building with different thrift stores inside. What I like about it is that aside from the fact that there's a wide array of selections, most of the stores are air conditioned.

Tips:
  • Make sure your stomach is full and you are hydrated before you go thrift shopping.
  • Wear comfortable clothes. I wore leggings and a simple shirt. Leggings make it easier for you to try on shorts and skirts. 
  • Make sure you don't wear any flashy items. You wouldn't want to attract snatchers. Plus, sellers may not give you a lower price when you haggle because wearing flashy items will give the impression that you can afford the items at a regular (or higher) price anyway.
  • Check out the items on sale first. 
  • Better to speak in Tagalog. 
  • Try your best to haggle especially when you buy a couple of stuff from the same store. 
  • Thoroughly check the items you are about to get. One thing you wouldn't want to happen is come home and realize that the item you got is damaged or has a stain on it.
  • Be patient. Check each item because you might miss on a good one.
  • Set a shopping budget and account the items you bought. Sometimes we get too caught up buying pieces at a cheap price but when you total everything, you might be surprised. Be disciplined and know when to stop.
  • Only get the items you know you're going to wear or use. Do not buy something just because it's cheap.
  • Sanitize and wash your hands after. You may not notice it but your hands will get dirty from rummaging through all those clothes. I was surprised at how dirty my hands were after shopping!  
What to Bring:


I didn't end up buying a lot but I'm happy with the pieces that I got. Stay tuned for my thrift haul! Also, if you know or have any favorite thrift shops, let me know by commenting down below. I'd love to go thrift shopping again!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

@mieracles on INSTAGRAM